Effervescent Brain

It's that time of the year. You can drop your friends a giggly "see you next year!" when you know you won't meet them again until tomorrow. You'll probably be summing up your year and, more often than not, end up hoping for a better one to come. Perhaps you make a couple of promises, you know, nothing serious, yeah? Just something small. And why not? It's always a good idea to make plans.

I made but a few for 2016. I started the year with... well, quite frankly, not a whole lot of expectations. I end it with mixed feelings. Not because my plans didn't pan out -- more because some of them did, many in unexpected ways. Do they make up for all the sad and stressful things that have happened in my life this year? I'm not sure.

So, at the end of the year, here's where we are:

Photo of a glass jar surrounded by lush green and gold vines and labelled Effervescent Brain, Cures Headaches in a classic font
Effervescent Brain.
Photo © M. A. Tyrskyluoto

effervescent adj. 1. Emitting a profusion of small bubbles or gas; bubbling. [. . .] 3. High-spirited; ebullient; vivacious.
from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
This repurposed glass jar was one of the few crafts projects I had time to complete this year. It's been one hell of a ride on the work front. After a busy summer, I started as the lead editor in a rewarding but challenging project in my day job, and on the creative side, I've been spending a fair bit of my spare time punching out a respectable stretch of short prose. (Some of it very successful, I'm pleased to say, but more about that in another post, at another time.)

It's been words, words, words, with an occasional jaunt across the pages of my sketchbook here and there. I had to put my cat comic on a hiatus to make room for more ambitious prospects. I've been stoking the flames of many an interesting endeavor, and there are yet many more to follow next year.

Year 2017 has some good things in store for me. Exciting, even. And then some things that, well, I just don't know, it could go either way. But that's what life's all about, isn't it? You never really know how it turns out.

So. Here's to an effervescent brain. It cures headaches, they say.

Comments

Popular Posts